More than 30 years ago, the United Nations General Assembly took an important step in promoting the idea that everyone deserves a decent place to live by declaring that the first Monday in October would be World Habitat Day.
Every year Habitat for Humanity joins our partners around the world to rededicate ourselves to recognizing the basic right of everyone to adequate shelter. Habitat for Humanity asks everyone to join together as one global network in communicating the message that every one of us deserves the opportunity for a better future, and that a decent place to live can remove barriers to opportunity, health and success that might have been part of a family’s life for years, and in many cases for generations.
Join us for World Habitat Day and year round by lifting your voice to help people in need of decent and affordable housing. Learn how you can take action in the United States through our Cost of Home advocacy campaign.
Benefits to corporate volunteering with Habitat for Humanity
- Learn about your employees on a more personal level.
- Break down the hierarchy walls of traditional corporate structure.
- Assist in projects that provide a better future for other individuals.
- Provide a deeper connection to the area around you.
- Create a more stable environment for those in need.
- Share an experience that you can take back to the office.
For additional information on the business and costs of volunteering, take a look at this in-depth article from America’s Charities.
Maybe you’ve already spent money on ropes courses, picnics or retreats, and those all certainly have their place. We believe it’s also valuable to invest time with your employees in meaningful work that will not only have an impact on them, but on the people they help for years to come.